With the first day's games done I fired up my ESPN score scraper to gather up the data and get the season started.
It seems like ESPN chose the first day of the season to roll out a new format (and URL scheme) for their basketball scoreboard page.
To be fair, I wrote my current (Python Scrapy-based) scraper with the help of Brandon Harris (*) and he warned me when I started down this road that ESPN was busy mucking up all their scoreboard pages. "Oh no," said I, "it looks fine, I'm sure they won't change it at the last second." So I have no one to blame but myself.
(*) And by help I mean he basically gave me working code.
I don't do anything much with the model until after a few weeks of games, so I have some time to fix my code. And I suppose that if you want to scrape data from the Web, you'd better be prepared to deal with change.